[Bridge] STP message age broken?

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se
Mon Feb 27 13:57:43 UTC 2012

There are problems with STP and its message age calculation even after commit:
 bridge: send proper message_age in config BPDU

Using HZ=1000 one can see that received msg and transmitted msg age are 0
going back to HZ=100 it gets better, but still looks strange.

Using HW switches(RSTP) and linux bridge in series:
  HW Switch(A, master) - HW Switch(B) - Linux BR(C) - Linux BR(D) - Linux BR(E)
In C we can with tcpdump see that incoming msg age is 1, but
in D we see incoming msg age 0, should be > 1 (or so I think)
Then in E we see incoming msg age 2.

Should not msg age increase with at least 1 for every hop?

 Jocke