[Bridge] can not get STP with VLAN working in linux

Koen Swinters Koen.Swinters at otnsystems.com
Tue Feb 28 08:39:21 UTC 2012

Hi,

I want to connect two pc`s on a redundant way with each other. On those pc`s a 64 bit ubuntu 11.10 is running with kernel version 3.0.0-16-generic.

Setup1:
----------

PC1:                                                                             PC2:

br0                                                                                br1
|                                                                                     |
-- eth0.1000  ---------------------------------------------------eth0.1000
|                                                                                     |
__eth1.1001 ----------------------------------------------------eth1.1001

When I enable spanning tree on both bridges (brctl stp br0 on). They both stay sending BPDU packages and no port is disabled. So I get a loop. For some reason spanning tree is not working.

Setup2:
---------
When I repeat the following test without the VLANs the spanning tree protocol is working:

br0                                                                          br1

The problems is that in the final solution I only have vlans, so I need Setup1.

Is spanning tree in Linux possible with VLANS?
If so, how do I have to set-up this?

Thanks,

Koen