[Bridge] Query on Sapnning tree implementation from standard point of view

Sasikanth babu sasikanth.v19 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 13:55:09 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Sujata Verma <sujataverma3 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Thanks. I was doing the same experiment on few switches, i could get hold
> of and this is the result:
>
> Cisco Switch catalyst 2950 : Completely ignoring the packet, so
> validations are proper.
>
> Netgear FSM726V3 : Hello timer is validated and is propagated as 10
> instead of 255 ( which i sent) other max age and forward delay still it
> accepts as 255.
>
>    I don't think STP std has mentioned this propagation, As far as I know
this prorogation is wrong. I think this must be a bug in Netgear switch.

DLINK-DES-3026 : No validation done and accepts all as 255 ( max age,
> forward delay and hello timer)
>
> In both Netgear and Dlink the message age is changed to 16, which i am not
> sure why it has happened ?
>
> my setup is simple
>
>   PC1------Switch------PC2
>
> From PC1 i am sending invalid timer values and observing on PC2.

    Are you doing any port mirroring here to capture packets on PC2?. How
are you sending packets from PC1 (running linux bridge?)?

> I am attaching wireshark capture for Dlink and Netgear STP packets.
>
>    Can you send out complete packet capture from start of your test to the
end to analyze

    Thanks
    Sasi

Please let me know if any one has any idea or comment on this.