[Bridge] Linux Bridge issue with veth pairs

Prashant Upadhyaya prashant.upadhyaya at aricent.com
Thu Aug 1 05:32:53 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have created two veth pairs using fedora19.

Firstpair: qeth0, qeth1
Secondpair: reth0, reth1

The commands used were

ip link add qeth0 type veth peer name qeth1
ip link add reth0 type veth peer name reth1

I have verified that whatever I write to qeth0, appears on qeth1 (and vice versa). And whatever I write to reth0, appears on reth1 (and viceversa)

Now I create a linux bridge called 'mylinuxbridge'
brctl addbr mylinuxbridge

I add qeth0 as one of the interfaces to the above bridge. I also add reth0 to the above bridge.
brctl addif mylinuxbridge qeth0
brctl addif mylinuxbridge reth0

Ofcourse I do an ifconfig up of all the interfaces and the bridge.

So we have something like this -

qeth1----qeth0---mylinuxbridge---reth0----reth1

Now I write something on qeth1, I see using tcpdump that the packet arrives on qeth0.
Now I expect the linux bridge to pass on the packet to reth0, but I don't get anything at reth0 (and consequently nothing at reth1)

Can somebody tell me where I am going wrong

Regards
-Prashant

Please refer to http://www.aricent.com/legal/email_disclaimer.html
for important disclosures regarding this electronic communication.