[Bridge] [Xen-devel] [RFC v2 1/4] bridge: enable interfaces to opt out from becoming the root bridge

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at do-not-panic.com
Fri Feb 21 16:01:13 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 5:02 AM, Zoltan Kiss <zoltan.kiss at citrix.com> wrote:
>> Agreed that's the best strategy and I'll work on sending patches to
>> brctl to enable the root_block preference. This approach however also
>
> I don't think brctl should deal with any Xen specific stuff. I assume there
> is a misunderstanding in this thread: when I (and possibly other Xen folks)
> talk about "userspace" or "toolstack" here, I mean Xen specific tools which
> use e.g. brctl to set up bridges. Not brctl itself.

I did mean brctl, but as I looked at the code it doesn't used
rtnl_open() and not sure if Stephen would want that. Additionally even
if it did handle root_block the other issue with this strategy is that
as you noted upon initialization the bridge, without a static MAC
address, could end up setting the backend as the root port, until you
let userspace turn the root_block knob.

  Luis