[Bridge] Bridge "address x.x.x.x" Configuration

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Thu Jul 31 20:51:06 UTC 2014

Hi,

Long ago I used a linux bridge with an IP address bound specifically to one of the two NICs of the bridge. Currently, it seems as though the address configuration cannot be explicitly assigned to just one physical port (I have eth0 and eth1, wanted it bound specifically and only to eth0). I'm hoping this is just a quirk of how my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is built, and not a limitation of the bridging software. Because I'm binding ports to the bridge, but not binding addresses to ports, I have to bind an address to the bridge as a whole. Using ifconfig after the bridge is up to bind an address directly to a port (independent of the bridge) fails.

One of my concerns is that I want the NIC on the "unfriendly" side to have no response to any address. The other concern is that with the current setup, I have a 10:1 latency increase problem using the address assigned, compared to the NIC just having an IP address without bridging. The latency issues are so bad that there is no use in using this for outside world connections. The system itself is ARMv7 embedded, and the two NICs are all that can ever be connected. No hardware flexibility exists for a third NIC to offload this function. Perhaps specifically binding the IP address to one NIC would remove the latency issue? If not, I have to debug and profile the kernel module on ARMv7, which will not be easy.

Thanks