[Bridge] Revert 462fb2af9788a82a534f8184abfde31574e1cfa0 (bridge : Sanitize skb before it enters the IP stack)

David Newall davidn at davidnewall.com
Wed May 21 08:10:25 UTC 2014

On 20/05/14 14:25, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> So yes, we*do*  need to do something sensible there - either frag the packet
> on the way out, or something.

I think the problem is that a bridge cannot be used across incompatible
media.  That's the job of a router.

A bridge should act like a bridge, not a router.  Fragmenting the packet
is wrong; that's IP's job.  Dropping the packet is also arguably wrong;
that's the real device-driver's job.  What seems right to me is to act
like a bridge and forward packets by looking inside of them *no more
than is necessary*.  Looking beyond MAC address is perhaps too much.

We can finish the job of processing IP options, or at least in this
scenario, but that seems wrong-headed and invites more work as more
problems are discovered; or we could remove the half-hearted attempt it
currently does and leave the bridge as a simple bridge.

This problem wouldn't occur if all devices in a bridge were required to
be compatible media; particularly identical MTU.