[Bridge] Revert 462fb2af9788a82a534f8184abfde31574e1cfa0 (bridge : Sanitize skb before it enters the IP stack)

David Newall davidn at davidnewall.com
Sun May 25 06:37:19 UTC 2014

On 25/05/14 12:32, David Miller wrote:
> From: David Newall<davidn at davidnewall.com>
> Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 12:02:03 +0930
>
>> On 25/05/14 03:13, David Miller wrote:
>>> This patch was substantially corrupted by your email client.
>> >We should be sending these things as mime attachments.
> It makes replying and commenting inline easy.

Patches are intrinsically corrupted by commenting on them inline, and
that doesn't matter.  What does matter is when a patch that people will
need to test is corrupted, and sending them as mime attachments is the
best answer I know of.  It's trivial to copy and paste from an
attachment to the body so that you can comment; far easier than copying
and pasting a patch verbatim (i.e. without corrupting it.)

> It's not our problem that so many email clients make sending
> plain unmolested ASCII text difficult.

It wasn't the email client; it was the xfce-terminal copy that corrupted
it.  It's proven to corrupt this patch in two different ways; the other,
which I caught before send, was because of unreliable scrollback.

In fact it is our problem when we insist that patches be sent in a way
which we know is brittle and error-prone; our problem and our fault.
Just imagine if you could have back all of the time you've wasted
looking at included code, only to discover that it had been corrupted in
some way or another; and then multiply that by everybody else who's
wasted time the same way.  The argument that it makes it easy to comment
is unconvincing to me because the alternative is so easy.

I apologise for this noise as I don't believe this is something which
will change any time soon; it will change, just not soon.  I'm quite
willing to drop the issue.