[Bridge] adding a vlan interface to a bridge interface

Oliver Graute oliver.graute at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 14:05:26 UTC 2015

Hello,

I try to add a vlan interface to a bridge interface.

But in the moment I add the eth1.4 vlan interface to the br0 Interface
icmp pings to another host in the same vlan aren't working anymore. In
tcpdump I see some arp request/reply come through. But no ping reply.

brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth1.4
ifconfig br0 192.168.1.1 up

brctl show
br0             8000.00604cc70004       no              eth1
                                                        eth1.4

I tried to configure this kernel parameter

/proc/sys/net/bridge/bridge-nf-filter-vlan-tagged = 0

but with no effect.

if I remove the eth1.4 interface from the bridge the icmp pings are
working again. I do not understand why, can somebody point me in the
right direction?

I should mention that I am using an older 3.9.11 kernel for this.

Best regards,

Oliver