[Bridge] Multicast packets are not bridged from ethernet to wireless interface

saurav barik saurav.barik at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 14:26:12 UTC 2015

Thanks Linus.
Sorry, it will not be possible to move to recent kernel.

How does the mdb gets updated for multicast addresses? Is it learnt on
basis of packets received from the network? For example, the multicast
address I use for iperf is 234.100.100.100. I mentioned two scenarios in my
earlier email. In case of eth0 being the active port on the mbr (multicast
working scenario), I see br_multicast_new_group() and
br_multicast_add_group() being called for this IP address moments after mbr
is up. However in case of wlan0 as the uplink port of mbr, I don't see
those functions being called.

I guess for unicast packets, if the entry is not present in fdb, the packet
is flooded on all other ports and its learnt and added to fdb based on the
port on which response packet arrives. Is it true for Multicast packets too?

Regards,
Saurav