[Bridge] Help with Ubuntu + bridge + tap + qemu + Windows

David Logan djlogan2.dl at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 04:47:13 UTC 2016

Hi guys
Thanks you all very much for you willingness to help. I had been struggling with this problem for weeks! It seems as though it really wasn’t a bridge problem as Srinivas pointed out. I was careful to reinstall the virtio drivers from the appropriate web site, and all of my VMs have been up all day long.

My main problem (aside from my overall lack of network knowledge) was simply not realizing that the bridge transmit queue meant transmitting from the tap interface to the virtio driver. I thought it was simply reflecting the numbers of the guest (meaning I thought the transmit count meant the number of packets transmitted from the virtio driver, and subsequently transmitted from the tap interface to the bridge.)

My humble apologies for making the network experts spend time on a very simple issue, but thank you all so much for your help. I was all but disabled due to this problem.

David Logan
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidjlogan
303-818-8222