[Bridge] Correct PVID behavior with bridge's VLAN filtering on/off?

Florian Fainelli f.fainelli at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 18:10:32 UTC 2018

Le 12/12/18 à 1:02 AM, Ido Schimmel a écrit :
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 11:48:21AM -0800, Florian Fainelli wrote:
>> Hi Nikolay, Roopa, Jiri, Ido,
>>
>> When a bridge has vlan_filtering=0 and notifies a switch driver through
>> HOST_OBJ_MDB about MC addresses that the CPU/management port is
>> interested in getting MC traffic for, I am seeing that the mdb->vid is
>> set to 0 because br_allowed_ingress() checks for BROPT_VLAN_ENABLED
>> which is now disabled and so we never populated *vid to anything but 0
>> because the caller: br_handle_frame_finish() zeroed it out.
>
> s/br_handle_frame_finish()/br_dev_xmit()/ ? Since you're talking about
> HOST_OBJ_MDB
>
>> This creates a problem with the b53 DSA switch driver because in order
>> to match the bridge's default_pvid, we did program the switch's "default
>> tag" to be 1, which gets used for all untagged frames that ingress the
>> switch (which AFAICT is correct behavior for PVID).
>
> Not sure I'm following. If bridge is not VLAN-aware, then where do you
> see 'default_pvid' being used?
>
>> Despite having turned off VLAN filtering in the switch such that it does
>> allow ingress of packets with a VID that is not present in the VLAN
>> table (violation), Multicast addresses do behave differently and we
>> really must be strictly matching the programmed PVID in order for MC
>> frames to ingress the switch even with VLAN filtering turned off.
>>
>> So with all that being written, should the bridge still be sending MDB
>> notifications and use the bridge's default_pvid even with
>> vlan_filtering=0? And if we did that, what use case could we be possibly
>> breaking?
>>
>> Let me know if this is not clear so I can provide mode details.
>
> I think you need to provide more details about the device you're working
> with. I can explain what we're doing in mlxsw for reference.
>
> When you use a VLAN-unaware bridge w/o VLAN devices, we make sure all
> untagged packets get tagged with some arbitrary VLAN (now 1, soon 4095).
> You never see this VLAN on the wire, since we remove it before sending
> the packets. It is only used because all packets in the ASIC must be
> tagged.
>
> After we have a VLAN we classify the packet to a FID (bridge) and it
> does {FID,DMAC} lookup in the FDB (MDB).
>
> IIUC, your problem is that you also need to tag all the packets (you
> used '1', can be something else), but then you program the MDB entry
> according to the VLAN passed in the notification ('0') and not use
> ('1'). We completely ignore the VID in this case and use the FID which
> we lookup based on the ifindex of the bridge.

Another thing that seems inconsistent or rather possibly problematic to
deal with is the following:

- create the bridge with VLAN filtering set, this leads to programming
VLAN entries into the switch through switchdev notifications, that is
expected and working

- turn off VLAN filtering on that bridge, this trickles down through
attributes notification to the switch driver which now disables ingress
VID checking (egress directed in Broadcom B53 is not easily
enforceable), we still have VLAN entries programmed into the switch, in
particular, the port's default VLAN/PVID, which is contributing to my
problem mentioned above

- bridge is now requesting MDB programming to be done with VID=0 since
the bridge is now VLAN-unaware

One might expect that when turning off VLAN filtering, the bridge layer
should also remove any programmed VLAN entries?

In spectrum_switchdev.c an error is issued to indicate that changing
VLAN filtering is not possible once the bridge has been created with
VLAN filtering on initially.

This is not necessarily something I want to restrict within B53, because
we ought to support dynamically turning on/off VLAN filtering on the
switch device and driver. I am not aware of an use case for that expect
my own tests so far, but clearly we can support it, so why not.

Instead of the patch I copied in my previous response where I would
change br_allowed_ingress(), I am considering modifying the port's
default PVID to match whatever the default VLAN is when not using a
bridge (0 in my case) when the currently configured PVID is not that
default PVID, conversely when re-enabling VLAN filtering, putting the
port back on the bridge's default_pvid.

Ido, does that make sense to you or would you advocate not to bother at
all with that use case and do what spectrum_switchdev.c does?

I would also appreciate if you could take a look at this patch since it
would answer a lot of my questions, thank you very much!

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1012404/
--
Florian