[Bridge] Bridge port userspace events broken?

Roopa Prabhu roopa at cumulusnetworks.com
Wed Oct 16 14:58:24 UTC 2019

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 3:53 AM <nikolay at cumulusnetworks.com> wrote:

> On 15 October 2019 12:48:58 CEST, nikolay at cumulusnetworks.com wrote:
> >On 14 October 2019 22:33:22 CEST, Richard Weinberger
> ><richard.weinberger at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>Hi!
> >>
> >>My userspace needs /sys/class/net/eth0/brport/group_fwd_mask, so I set
> >>up udev rules
> >>to wait for the sysfs file.
> >>Without luck.
> >>Also "udevadm monitor" does not show any event related to
> >>/sys/class/net/eth0/brport when I assign eth0 to a bridge.
> >>
> >>First I thought that the bridge code just misses to emit some events
> >>but
> >>br_add_if() calls kobject_uevent() which is good.
> >>
> >>Greg gave me the hint that the bridge code might not use the kobject
> >>model
> >>correctly.
> >>
> >>Enabling kobjekt debugging shows that all events are dropped:
> >>[   36.904602] device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
> >>[   36.904786] kobject: 'brport' (0000000028a47e33):
> >kobject_uevent_env
> >>[   36.904789] kobject: 'brport' (0000000028a47e33):
> >>kobject_uevent_env: filter function caused the event to drop!
> >>
> >>If I understood Greg correctly this is because the bridge code uses
> >>plain kobjects which
> >>have a parent object. Therefore all events are dropped.
> >>
> >>Shouldn't brport be a kset just like net_device->queues_kset?
> >

> >Hi Richard,
> >I'm currently traveling and will be out of reach until mid-next week
> >when I'll be
> >able to take a closer look, but one thing which comes to mind is that
> >on
> >any bridge/port option change there should also be a netlink
> >notification which
> >you could use. I'll look into this and will probably cook a fix, if
> >anyone hasn't
> >beaten me to it by then. :)
> >
> >Cheers,
> >  Nik
>
> I meant the notifications could be used to configure the port mask once the
> netdev is enslaved as well as for monitoring changes to them.
> Generally we prefer using netlink for configuration changes, some
> of the bridge options are only accessible via netlink (e. g. vlan config).

+1,  this can be fixed....but in general all new bridge and link
attributes have better support with netlink.
In this case its IFLA_BRPORT_GROUP_FWD_MASK link attribute available
via ip monitor or bridge monitor.
 you probably cannot use it with udev today.

For the future, I think having udev listen to netlink link and devlink
events would make sense (Not sure if anybody is working on it).
AFAIK the sysfs uevent mechanism for link attributes don't  receive
the required attention and testing like the equivalent netlink events.