[Bridge] [RFC net-next Patch v2 4/4] net: bridge: mrp: switchdev: Add HW offload

Horatiu Vultur horatiu.vultur at microchip.com
Tue Jan 14 08:08:56 UTC 2020

The 01/14/2020 00:30, Andrew Lunn wrote:

> Hi Horatiu
>
> It has been said a few times what the basic state machine should be in
> user space. A pure software solution can use raw sockets to send and
> receive MRP_Test test frames. When considering hardware acceleration,
> the switchdev API you have proposed here seems quite simple. It should
> not be too hard to map it to a set of netlink messages from userspace.

Yes and we will try to go with this approach, to have a user space
application that contains the state machines and then in the kernel to
extend the netlink messages to map to the switchdev API.
So we will create a new RFC once we will have the user space and the
definition of the netlink messages.

--
/Horatiu