[Bridge] [RFC net-next v3 00/10] net: bridge: mrp: Add support for Media Redundancy Protocol (MRP)

Vinicius Costa Gomes vinicius.gomes at intel.com
Sat Jan 25 21:18:09 UTC 2020

Hi,

"Allan W. Nielsen" <allan.nielsen at microchip.com> writes:

> [...]
>>I have one idea and one question.
>
> Let me answer the question before dicussing the idea.
>
>>The question that I have is: what's the relation of IEC 62439-2 to IEEE
>>802.1CB?
> HSR and 802.1CB (often called FRER - Frame Replication and Elimination
> for Reliability) shares a lot of functionallity. It is a while since I
> read the 802.1CB standard, and I have only skimmed the HSR standard, but
> as far as I understand 802.1CB is a super set of HSR. Also, I have not
> studdied the HSR implementation.
>
> Both HSR and 802.1CB replicate the frame and eliminate the additional
> copies. If just 1 of the replicated fraems arrives, then higher layer
> applications will not see any traffic lose.
>
> MRP is different, it is a ring protocol, much more like ERPS defined in
> G.8032 by ITU. Also, MRP only make sense in switches, it does not make
> sense in a host (like HSR does).
>
> In MRP, the higher layer application frames are not replicated. They are
> send on either 1 port or the other.
>
> Consider this exaple, with 3 nodes creating a ring. All notes has a br0
> device which includes the 2 NICs.
>
>      +------------------------------------------+
>      |                                          |
>      +-->|H1|<---------->|H2|<---------->|H3|<--+
>      eth0    eth1    eth0    eth1    eth0    eth1
>
> Lets say that H1 is the manager (MRM), and H2 + H3 is the client (MRC).
>
> The MRM will now block one of the ports, lets say eth0, to prevent a
> loop:
>
>      +------------------------------------------+
>      |                                          |
>      +-->|H1|<---------->|H2|<---------->|H3|<--+
>      eth0    eth1    eth0    eth1    eth0    eth1
>       ^
>    Blocked
>

> This mean that H1 can reach H2 and H3 via eth1
> This mean that H2 can reach H1 eth0
> This mean that H2 can reach H3 eth1
> This mean that H3 can reach H1 and H2 via eth0
>
> This is normal forwarding, doen by the MAC table.
>
> Lets say that the link between H1 and H2 goes down:
>
>      +------------------------------------------+
>      |                                          |
>      +-->|H1|<---  / --->|H2|<---------->|H3|<--+
>      eth0    eth1    eth0    eth1    eth0    eth1
>
> H1 will now observe that the test packets it sends on eth1, is not
> received in eth0, meaninf that the ring is open, and it will unblock the
> eth0 device, and send a message to all the nodes that they need to flush
> the mac-table.
>
> This mean that H1 can reach H2 and H3 via eth0
> This mean that H2 can reach H1 and H3 via eth1
> This mean that H3 can reach H2 eth0
> This mean that H3 can reach H1 eth1
>
> In all cases, higher layer application will use the br0 device to send
> and receive frames. These higher layer applications will not see any
> interruption (except during the few milliseconds it takes to unblock, and
> flush the mac tables).
>
> Sorry for the long explanation, but it is important to understand this

Not at all, thanks a lot. Now it's clear to me that MRP and 802.1CB are
really different beasts, with different use cases/limitations:

 - MRP: now that we have a ring, let's break the loop, and use the
   redudancy provided by the ring to detect the problem and "repair" the
   network if something bad happens;

 - 802.1CB: now that we have a ring, let's send packets through
   two different paths, and find a way to discard duplicated ones, so
   even if something bad happens the packet will reach its destination;

(I know that it's more complicated than that in reality :-)

>>The idea is:
>>
>>'net/hsr' already has a software implementation of the HSR replication
>>tag (and some of the handling necessary). So what came to mind is to
>>add the necessary switchdev functions to the master HSR device. If
>>that's done, then it sounds that the rest will mostly work.
> Maybe something could be done here, but it will not help MRP, as they do
> not really share any functionality ;-)
>
>>For the user the flow would be something like:
>> - User takes two (or more interfaces) and set them as slaves of the HSR
>>   master device, say 'hsr0';
>> - 'hsr0' implements some of the switchdev functionality so we can use
>>   the MRP userspace components on it;
> For MRP to work, it really need the bridge interface, and the higher
> layer applications needs to use the br0 device.
>
>>Does it look like something that could work?
> It would make much more sense if we discussed implementing 802.1CB in
> some form (which we might get to).

I see. Agreed.

> /Allan

Cheers,