[Bridge] [RFC net-next v3 06/10] net: bridge: mrp: switchdev: Extend switchdev API to offload MRP

Jürgen Lambrecht j.lambrecht at televic.com
Mon Jan 27 14:41:13 UTC 2020

On 1/27/20 12:04 PM, Allan W. Nielsen wrote:
> CAUTION: This Email originated from outside Televic. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
>

> On 26.01.2020 16:59, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> EXTERNAL EMAIL: Do not click links or open attachments unless you know the content is safe

> I agree, we need to find a solution to this issue.

> Sounds like a good idea to me.

Indeed, and it should then do the same as mentioned below and "... come a 'dumb switch' ", except that I propose to make it configurable how to fallback: with auto-recovery ('dumb switch') or safe mode that keeps the ports blocked, and then some higher layer protocol should fix it.

>>> I totally missed this case, I will update this as you suggest.
>>
>> What does your hardware actually provide?
>>
>> Given the design of the protocol, if the hardware decides the OS etc
>> is dead, it should stop sending MRP_TEST frames and unblock the ports.
>> If then becomes a 'dumb switch', and for a short time there will be a
>> broadcast storm. Hopefully one of the other nodes will then take over
>> the role and block a port.
> As far as I know, the only feature HW has to prevent this is a
> watch-dog timer. Which will reset the entire system (not a bad idea if
> the kernel has dead-locked).
Indeed. Our designs always have a watchdog.

And then I again propose to have 2 bootup options.

I refer here also to my answer on Allan's answer on my email of 12:29PM.

Kind regards,

Jürgen