[Bridge] [RFC net-next v3 09/10] net: bridge: mrp: Integrate MRP into the bridge

Jürgen Lambrecht j.lambrecht at televic.com
Mon Jan 27 15:33:26 UTC 2020

On 1/27/20 2:40 PM, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> Again, I do not know how other HW is designed, but all the SOC's we are
>> working with, does allow us to add a TCAM rule which can redirect these
>> frames to the CPU even on a blocked port.
> It is not in scope for what you are doing, but i wonder how we
> describe this in a generic Linux way? And then how we push it down to
> the hardware?
>
> For the Marvell Switches, it might be possible to do this without the
> TCAM. You can add forwarding DB entries marked as Management. It is
> unclear if this overrides the blocked state, but it would be a bit odd
> if it did not.
A MGMT frame does override the blocked state according the the datasheet.
And any MAC address can be loaded, not only 01:80:C2:00:00:0x (802.1D) and 01:80:C2:00:00:2x (GARP). Then the ATU is used instead of something specialized.
(referring to Andrew's email of 20200126 6:12 PM)
(I only checked again 88E6250/88E6220/88E6071/88E6070/88E6020 Functional Specification)

Kind regards,

Jürgen