[Bridge] [RFC net-next v4 0/9] net: bridge: mrp: Add support for Media Redundancy Protocol(MRP)

Nikolay Aleksandrov nikolay at cumulusnetworks.com
Mon Mar 30 16:21:41 UTC 2020

On 27/03/2020 11:21, Horatiu Vultur wrote:
> Media Redundancy Protocol is a data network protocol standardized by
> International Electrotechnical Commission as IEC 62439-2. It allows rings of
> Ethernet switches to overcome any single failure with recovery time faster than
> STP. It is primarily used in Industrial Ethernet applications.
>
> Based on the previous RFC[1][2][3], the MRP state machine and all the timers
> were moved to userspace, except for the timers used to generate MRP Test frames.
> In this way the userspace doesn't know and should not know if the HW or the
> kernel will generate the MRP Test frames. The following changes were added to
> the bridge to support the MRP:
> - the existing netlink interface was extended with MRP support,
> - allow to detect when a MRP frame was received on a MRP ring port
> - allow MRP instance to forward/terminate MRP frames
> - generate MRP Test frames in case the HW doesn't have support for this
>
> To be able to offload MRP support to HW, the switchdev API  was extend.
>
> With these changes the userspace doesn't do the following because already the
> kernel/HW will do:
> - doesn't need to forward/terminate MRP frames
> - doesn't need to generate MRP Test frames
> - doesn't need to detect when the ring is open/closed.
>
> The userspace application that is using the new netlink can be found here[4].

Hi Horatiu,
One issue in general - some functions are used before they're defined (the switchdev
API integration ones) patch 4 vs 7 which doesn't make sense. Also I see that the BRIDGE_MRP is used
(ifdef) before it's added to the Kconfig which doesn't make much sense either.
I think you should rearrange the patches and maybe combine some of them.

Thanks,
 Nik