[Ce-android-mainline] logger update - jan 25

Tim Bird tim.bird at am.sony.com
Thu Jan 26 00:42:46 UTC 2012

On 01/25/2012 04:35 PM, Andy Green wrote:
> On 01/26/2012 03:01 AM, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>
> Hi -
>
>> as suggested by Android Morton.
>
> ^^  Actually that has a nice ring to it.

That was a funny mistake.  I guess I type "Android" too often...
:-)

>> With respect to this, I have found one thing that I didn't expect.
>> Andrew Morton said that the 'inline' attribute on small functions
>> is not needed, since the compilers generaly do the right thing with them.
>> My experience with a gcc 4.2.1 ARM cross compiler is different.
>
> It's pretty old compiler version.  I use a not quite so old 4.5 cross
> toolchain and I regularly see it has inlined single-use static functions
> into callers directly without inline.
>
>> If I don't specify 'inline', then the code does NOT get inlined
>> This is for a very simple one-line function, where the call
>> overhead is larger than the code to execute the function.
>>
>> Am I missing something, or is gcc just dumb?
>> I don't want to ignore Andrew, but I'm inclined to keep the 'inline'
>> attribute on some functions.
>
> gcc 4.7 is out there I guess it's worth cooking with later tools.

I should probably try out one of those newfangled Linaro toolchains.
I think it would work on the kernel, but it seems to be missing
kernel headers for building user-space apps (or am I being dumb
again?)

Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a try.
 -- Tim