[Ce-android-mainline] binder re-implementation

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Thu Jan 26 12:37:42 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 25 January 2012, Tim Bird wrote:
> I don't know if anything will come of it, but someone has gone to the
> trouble of starting a project to re-implement the binder driver,
> apparently in an effort to improve SMP performance.
>
> See
> http://groups.google.com/group/android-kernel/browse_frm/thread/c57874670e4decb1
>
> It's too early to tell if this project will yield usable results,
> but I thought it was worth preserving a reference to, for anyone
> who ends up working on binder.

I've looked briefly at it, and it doesn't seem to change the
kernel to user space interface at all, which would be the most
important thing to get right before worrying about implementation
details. I have no way to tell if the work on the binder
re-implementation is a good thing or not, but it seems to be
orthogonal to the cleanup on the kernel interface that we need
to get binder graduated from staging to a proper subsystem.

	Arnd