[Ce-android-mainline] binder re-implementation

Tim Bird tim.bird at am.sony.com
Thu Jan 26 18:41:13 UTC 2012

On 01/26/2012 04:37 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 January 2012, Tim Bird wrote:
>> I don't know if anything will come of it, but someone has gone to the
>> trouble of starting a project to re-implement the binder driver,
>> apparently in an effort to improve SMP performance.
>>
>> See
>> http://groups.google.com/group/android-kernel/browse_frm/thread/c57874670e4decb1
>>
>> It's too early to tell if this project will yield usable results,
>> but I thought it was worth preserving a reference to, for anyone
>> who ends up working on binder.
>
> I've looked briefly at it, and it doesn't seem to change the
> kernel to user space interface at all, which would be the most
> important thing to get right before worrying about implementation
> details. I have no way to tell if the work on the binder
> re-implementation is a good thing or not, but it seems to be
> orthogonal to the cleanup on the kernel interface that we need
> to get binder graduated from staging to a proper subsystem.

Since I don't have time to work on binder myself, I haven't
pressed for details about what people would like to see changed
in the kernel interfaces.  However, maybe a thumbnail sketch
would be good.

Could you give us a quick rundown of the problems you see
with the existing interfaces?  I'm not really trying to start
a technical discussion here (as I don't have enough experience
with binder to make any judgements or evaluate the critique).
The lack of response might give the impression that the issues
are being dropped in the bit bucket.  But I plan to at least
record on the wiki the issues that may need addressing.

Thanks,
 -- Tim