[cgl_discussion] Proposal for disconnecting release numbers from continuous builds

Stephanie Glass sglass at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 29 11:19:57 PDT 2002

Rusty,
I don't know if we talked about milestone builds, but could your way also
have milestone builds, such as on the 10/15 date when all code is initial
all in?  Or would this just be under stable builds?

Thanks

Stephanie

Linux Technology Center
 IBM, 11400 Burnet Road, Austin, TX  78758
 Phone: (512) 838-9284   T/L: 678-9284  Fax: (512) 838-3882
 E-Mail: sglass at us.ibm.com

                      "Lynch, Rusty"
                      <rusty.lynch at intel        To:       "'cgl_discussion at osdl.org'" <cgl_discussion at osdl.org>
                      .com>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  [cgl_discussion] Proposal for disconnecting release numbers
                      cgl_discussion-adm         from continuous builds
                      in at osdl.org

                      08/29/2002 01:00
                      PM

When you look at the continuous builds at
http://tinderbox.developer.osdl.org/Builds/status.html or the packages that
are the output of the build at http://builds.developer.osdl.org/index.php,
the version of the build and the build number is called out.

For example, on 08-27-2002 at 14:34:39 there was a build that is titled
"CGLE 1.0 - Build21".  Unless we plan on having multiple development
threads
for 1.X and 2.X implementations of the requirements, the concept of a
version number doesn't mean anything in this scope.  The build is just
building the latest code.  When the code will be considered ready for
release and what name we want to attach to that code doesn't change the
fact
that this is just a build from the source tree at a given point in time.

I would like all of our continuous build output to be identified by just a
build number and reference to when the build happened.  This would decouple
the build process from debates on what the release name is.  For example,
the title that you would see on http://builds.developer.osdl.org/index.php
would change from  "CGLE 1.0 - Build 21 - 08-27-2002 14:34:39" to " CGLE
Build 21 - 08-27-2002 14:34:39".  Maybe the bits will become eventually be
released as CGLE 1.0 or CGLE 1.0.1 or who knows.  Why force the build
system
to understand our release naming convention?

BTW, the builds page could still have a "stable" and "development" section.

    -rusty