[cgl_discussion] CGL and DCL trees

Mika Kukkonen mika at osdl.org
Wed Dec 11 15:21:14 PST 2002

On ke, 2002-12-11 at 15:09, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
(...)
> I don't agree that distros need a cgl tree to pull from at all.
> They will find their own sources and do their own merging.
> I don't expect them to use this cgl tree.

Yeah, we learned this lesson hard way with CGLE.

> | Why do you disagree with the word "all?"
>
> Well, it's too inclusive.  Like saying always or never.
> It makes for a giant melting pot (more like a stinky pot).
> That's not the goal.

One reason I like Randy is that he has taste _and_ guts to
say to me that "this patch stinks, I am not going to include it".
If I were to maintain cgl tree, being the mercenary I am, I would
probably go for the "all" road and end up with a total disaster.

And if you think about it, saying "no" is the key part of what Linus
is doing.

--MiKu