[cgl_discussion] CGL and DCL trees

Steven Dake sdake at mvista.com
Wed Dec 11 15:40:36 PST 2002

>But those distros need a place to return updates to.  Maybe I'm dreaming
>but if each of them is maintaining their own branches, the code will
>never be shared (in an organized way anyway.)
>
>I still think there is a need for a permanent cgl tree (or project) for
>vendors.

This doesn't make alot of sense to me.  There are several reasons that
vendors will not be interested in a permanent cgl tree.  Specifics
include their own patches, ensure that patches meet their own quality
criteria, and extend the linux kernel in many ways.

A good example is support for alternate architectures such as Xscale/SA.
 The default linux kernel doesn't support XScale.  Does that mean the
CGL tree becomes a complete integration of other non-IA platforms?  I
don't think the cgl tree maintainers would want to become a linux vendor
and do all the nasty work of integrating several architectures and
several features.  If they wanted to do that, they would get out of the
OSDL business and get into the OS business.  This is why I don't
understand why OSDL would bother maintaining any tree at all, but hey
its a free country.

Vendors don't need an extra tree to deal with.  At MontaVista, we
already have over 30 trees (features, architecture support, patches)
that must be integrated.  We definately don't need an integrated tree to
try to pull apart to reintegrate into our already integrated tree.  I
think you will find most Linux vendors in agreement here.  Linux vendors
want to ship their own tree; its a percentage of what defines their
value add.

For MontaVista's latest carrier grade edition product, we used the CGLE
integrated tree and I personally found it to be very painful and reduce
the level of quality we could apply to our product.  Now we were taking
unaudited code from many unknown sources.  It makes more sense to take
audited code from known sources and if quality is suspect, apply code
review to the incoming code to ensure it meets quality standards.

Now if you want to bother maintaining an integrated tree for the few
people that might be interested in taking a look at the OSDL features
that is fine.  But these folks shouldn't have any issues integrating the
features they are interested in themselves.  If they do, they probably
are not capable of using/understanding/commenting on the features in the
integrated tree anyway.  And really, how many people would be interested
in such a tree?  Less then 5 ?  Is it really worth the effort?  Only
customers are interested in an integrated tree.  I don't see Joe running
CGL tree on his desktop anytime soon.

Thanks
-steve