[cgl_discussion] ethernet bonding & SCTP

Rod Van Meter Rod.VanMeter at nokia.com
Fri Dec 20 13:49:15 PST 2002

Bonding:

See linux/Documentation/networking/bonding.txt.  This appears, at
least, in 2.4.18 and 2.5.51.  I'm not sure how long it's been in the
kernel, but the impression is at least since Red Hat 7.1 was released,
or at least since 2.4.12.

Appears to have been originated by the Beowulf team, but no longer
maintained by them.

Requires a user space tool, ifenslave, which, unusually, is shipped
directly with the kernel, in Documentation/networking/ifenslave.c.

It's SMP safe, too (there was a bonding driver for 2.0 that wasn't,
this one is new).

AFAICT, there are no issues with this driver, and it appears to be in
at least modest use, so it's not simply dead code.

SCTP:

openss7.org appears to have SCTP for Linux 2.4.18, released back in
April or so.  This is NOT the same stack that's in 2.5.

It's not exactly GPL, and it requires a bunch of user-space tools.

It also gets you a lot more than just SCTP; it gets you big chunks of
an SS7 suite.

Requires LiS STREAMS, available there, too.

Can also get just the smaller SCTP; don't have to have the full SS7.

The 2.5 one is http://www.sf.net/projects/lksctp, all GPL.

And it's completely different.  The SF project includes user space
tools; I doubt they're included in any distribution.

This is under *active* development; it's still in the alpha state.
Some of it is in the kernel, but the SF site maintains patches that
haven't made it mainstream yet.  It's probably a pretty good model for
what our projects ought to look like.  First appeared in 2.5.36.

Work is ongoing on making it run over IPv6 as well as IPv4.

Contributors include Cisco, Motorola, IBM, Intel, La Monte Yarroll(?)
and Nokia!  Started by Motorola, using extreme programming techniques.