[cgl_discussion] OSDL

Isabelle, Francois Francois.Isabelle at ca.kontron.com
Fri Jul 19 10:35:39 PDT 2002

Got some update from Monta Vista representative:

"OSDL and TLT are indeed two separate efforts but they also share some of
the same overlapping companies and individuals which are contributing to
both."

"All three companies (MontaVista/Intel/IBM) currently working in TLT are
members of the OSDL and
are contributing to the development of the OSDL specification."

"Our current position is that the TLT and OSDL will come together into one
(OSDL) specification sometime 2003."

It remains clear that
	"There is no relationship between TLT working group and OSDL Carrier
 Grade Linux Working Group." even thought expected features are very
similar.

As another party that wishes to support OSDL initiative and deployement of
CGL, I'll try to follow and/or contribute to development of both branches.

Question:
	There is a Validation Framework: according to the site,
	"This provides the overall structure for creating and executing
validation suites that will test different 	specs of a compliant carrier
grade Linux OS. "

	Is there any "Hardware Validation Framework" in place. That could
provide something like:
	"This provides the overall structure for creating and executing
validation suites and that will test different 	specs of a compliant carrier
grade Linux compatible ' CPU board / Hardware Platform / Peripheral Device.
'"

	Such a Validation Framework may include :
  	 Feature set requirements Verification, Functionnal
Validation,Performance Verification,Stress Test ...

	I don't necessarily want to get down to the connectors pinout or
electrical signals jitter, rise time or else.. 	But, for example, if a
hardware watchdog is needed ( I think the requirement is for a software
watchdog at this time but ...) to meet compliance, a board should have that
kind of watchdog.

	This would allow software vendors to self verify their chances of
having a "CGL Ready Platform/Board/Whatever".
	Do you think that kind of framework might be usefull ?

	Any feedback would be appreciated

Francois Isabelle