[cgl_discussion] Re: [cgl_specs] Support for asynchronous events

Pradeep Kathail pkathail at cisco.com
Tue Nov 12 10:03:08 PST 2002

Hi Frederic,

My understanding, from reading the requirements, is that you are looking
for asynchronous event delivery with priority queuing of events. At
surface this looks like a glorified method of delivering POSIX real-time signals. Is that what you want or am I missing something? If this
is what you want then, read-on?

In a multi-threaded system, I have found programming with asynchronous
events to be cumbersome and error prone. I think programming model becomes
simpler and more flexible, if you allow these events to be dropped into
a queue that can be watched/ queried by various threads. One or more
threads should be able to sleep on this queue and woken up when events
are delivered/ available in the queue. At the same time polling of queue
in the user space should be very efficient.

Multi-threaded processes can have one or more threads waiting on this
queue and processing the event as they arrive. Application will also
have choice of tuning the number of threads based on arrival rate of
events. Applications will be able to use normal locking primitives to
protect critical sections and data structures.

Single threaded applications should be able to poll the event on natural
protection boundaries or create a small stub thread, that drops appropriate
signal for processing thread to process the event.

Pradeep