[cgl_discussion] Latest draft on security requirements

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at osdl.org
Tue Nov 12 12:12:17 PST 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 11:50, Makan Pourzandi (LMC) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I send you my latest version of security requirement draft. I tried to take
> into account all comments from different people.
>
> Feel free to comment on that.
>
> Regards,
> Makan
>
>  <<sec_req_draft1.doc>>  <<sec_req_draft1.pdf>>

A couple of questions:
a) What if any of this is unique to carrier grade systems? Isn't most of
this a generic "hostile environment" server requirement. What makes
Ericsson any more or less demanding than Ebay or Yahoo?

b) What is the "Thread Model" for carrier grade systems?  A threat model
is a business level description which describes what the risk and
exposure is and allows sizing the expense of fixing it.

Lots of the solutions described may be expensive to implement and not
match real threats. Other ones like signed binaries are easily overcome
without a trusted computing base in the kernel.