[cgl_discussion] [ANNOUNCE] Open POSIX Test Suite

Gustafson, Geoffrey R geoffrey.r.gustafson at intel.com
Thu Nov 21 17:20:10 PST 2002

In case you missed this on LKML a few weeks ago:

I would like to announce a new project to develop and/or assemble a GPL test
suite for POSIX APIs. The tests will focus on conformance to the IEEE Std
1003.1-2001, but will also include separate functional and stress tests.

The project's current approach to conformance testing is to record
assertions from a close reading of the POSIX specifications, and write
minimal test cases that prove or disprove these assertions. The test suite
will be independent of specific API implementations, and will eventually be
easily configurable to work with different implementations. The project aims
for OS independence, using only POSIX APIs, the autoconf suite, and simple
shell support. However, it is currently only being tested on Linux.

Ultimately, the plan is to use the test suite to evaluate current support in
Linux, as well as new implementations being considered in the open source
community, and then contribute patches or at least bug reports (with a
minimal test case) to the appropriate place.

Contributions of any test cases, review and critique of the existing work,
discussion of the approach, etc. are very welcome. Join the development
mailing list, posixtest-discuss. The initial focus is on Signals, Message
Queues, Threads, Semaphores, and Clocks & Timers, based on current interests
and resources. Contributions can be made in these areas or begun for another
part of the POSIX specification. There will need to be uniformity across the
suite, but many details have yet to be worked out, so your involvement in
those decisions is also welcome.

For more information, see the project website at
http://posixtest.sourceforge.net

Thanks,

-- Geoff Gustafson

These are my views and not necessarily those of my employer.