[cgl_discussion] Re: Project review

dann dannf at fc.hp.com
Tue Oct 1 16:40:41 PDT 2002

here you go:

> On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Khalid Aziz wrote:
>
> | We had decided that each project needs to go through a review on
> | cgl_discussion mailing list. We need to get this review started. Project
> | maintainers need to initaite this process. To kick off the review, here
> | is what I would suggest sending in an email as a proposal to
> | cgl_discussion:
> |
> | 1. Quote the requirements from the requirements doc that your project is
> | expected to meet.

Section 3.8, Software Live Upgrade.
SystemImager (part of SIS) has been added to the repository.
It does not fulfill all of these requirements yet.

3.8.1 is partially fulfilled.  SIS currently handles updating the
files on the system, but doesn't deal with loadin/unloading kernel
modules or restarting apps.

3.8.2 is partially fulfilled.  SIS does not know about version checking,
but files are stored in such a way that common package management tools
can be used to verify dependencies.  The upgrade process does not disallow
the coexistance of any binaries, but provides no provisions for simplifying
this task.

3.8.3 - not fulfilled

3.8.4 - partially fulfilled.  SIS will blindly move from one version to
another - it doesn't have the concept of old vs. new images.

> | 2. Explain how you think the project you have picked meets the above
> | requirements.

described above.

> | 3. Explain the design of your project or point to a document on the web
> | that explains the design.

http://systemimager.org/manual/html/
this doc is a bit dated - the latest version is included in the cvs
tree.

> | 4. Pointer to your code/patch.

in the cglinux cvs tree.  upstream is here:
http://sf.net/projects/systemimager.

other pieces of SIS should be included also (SystemConfigurator in particular,
as SC is a hard dependency of SystemImager).

the SIS page is:
http://www.sisuite.org, which contains an overview of the components.

--
dann frazier