[cgl_discussion] Re: Project review

Larry Butler larry_butler at hp.com
Wed Oct 2 10:38:14 PDT 2002

On Wednesday 02 October 2002 11:29 am, Randy.Dunlap wrote:

> |    The password is stored in the kernel in MD5 encrypted form.  The
> |    encrypted
> |    form of the password can be set or retrieved through a new sysctl
> |    control
> |    or
> |    through (/proc/sys/kernel/kdbpassword).  A utility to encrypt passwords
> |    in
> |    MD5 format already exists as part of GRUB.
>
> So is grub a requirement to use this patch, or just the grub
> 'md5crypt' utility?  (which I don't seem to have just now :(

No, not a requirement.  You could, for example, use a password from your
/etc/shadow.

If you wanted to use your root password for KDB too you could do this:

  grep ^root: /etc/shadow | cut -d: -f2 > /proc/sys/kernel/kdbpassword

in your rc.local....  for example.

There are certainly ways to make this whole thing easier (which maybe should
be part of future requirements).  Thoughts, anyone?

Larry