[cgl_discussion] configurable requirements - are they specified somewhere?

Craig Thomas craiger at osdl.org
Tue Oct 8 09:19:27 PDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 06:51, Mika Kukkonen wrote:
> Errr... the definition of "configurable" is that the feature needs to
> be active when the testing is made, but it can be _after_ that
> deactivated using normal configuration and recompilation (changing
> the source code is not allowed) to allow end-user to "configure out"
> those features they do not want to use.
>
> So given the definition above, I do not understand your
> question/request, as from the testing point of view, there is no
> difference between core and configurable features. You might want to
> test the impact of configuring one or several of these "configurable"
> features out, but IMHO that job should be left to the distribution
> vendors.

The question arises from the deduction you made in the 2nd paragraph.
A user of Carrier Grade Linux may not want Resource Monitor Performance,
for example, and want to configure it out.  I don't necessarily agree
that it is totally up to the distribution vendors to assure that all
configurable requirements be tested by them.  Since the CGL working
group has specified that some of these requirements are configurable,
then the Proof of Concept should show that the projects introduced into
CGL can be configured in or out, as stated by the requirements
definition. In turn, the validation group should show that the
requirement has been met (one part of a requirement should be to prove
that it can be configured out).

I totally agree that for a validation exercise, all of the requirements
must be configured in and the tests run against the built kernel and
user modules.  However, it would be embarrassing if the kernel panics
with one or two requirements configured out.