[cgl_discussion] CONFIG_HYPERTHREADING ??

Saxena, Sunil sunil.saxena at intel.com
Tue Oct 8 09:33:36 PDT 2002

I like to add couple of points for everyone's information:

1. Distributors are shipping their distribution with HT enabled by default.
Intel's recommended way of turning of HT is to do it via the BIOS.
2. ISVs should not be charging per logical CPU.  The information for logical
and physical CPU is all available in /proc/cpuinfo.
3. We are seeing 10-35% performance benefit for HT with different workloads.
Like to hear on cases where one does not see any benefit.

Thanks
Sunil