[cgl_discussion] CONFIG_HYPERTHREADING ??

Patrick Mochel mochel at osdl.org
Tue Oct 8 10:27:10 PDT 2002

> I've heard some discussion of hyperthreading for PPC systems (and
> not actually released yet).  The concept isn't specific to x86.

I have too, but as far as I know, it's not the 'Evil Twin' type of
hyperthreading. The PPC64 boxes have an entirely separate core on the die
and don't require any software hack to get it to work (well). I.e. you
don't enable or disable it.

I don't really know, though, and it is the case that you can
enable/disable it, then there should be a config option iff there are
special code paths for HT-enabled CPUs and the presence of the code paths
is not solely dependent on the enabling of the specific processor type.

	-pat