[cgl_discussion] Requirement of Hot Identity

Yang, Harold harold.yang at intel.com
Mon Oct 14 00:03:31 PDT 2002

In <OSDL CGL Requirements Definition Version 1.0>, there are 3 requirements
for Hotswap Support: Hot Insertion (Requirement 2.1.1), Hot Removal
(Requirement 2.1.2), Hot Device Identity (Requirement 2.1.3). It is very
easy to understand the requirement of hot insertion and hot removal,
however, I am a little unsure about hot device identity: is it something
like the UUID schema, or is it something related with hardware resources,
such as IRQ, IO ports, etc., so that when a device is hot removed, the Hot
Plug driver will save its hardware configuration and allocate the same
hardware resources to it when the same device is hot inserted into the
system again?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Harold Yang
Intel Corporation

The content of this email message solely contains my own personal views, and
not those of the company.