[cgl_discussion] Requirement of Hot Identity

Peter Badovinatz tabmowzo at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 14 11:33:59 PDT 2002

"Yang, Harold" wrote:

> In <OSDL CGL Requirements Definition Version 1.0>, there are 3 requirements
> for Hotswap Support: Hot Insertion (Requirement 2.1.1), Hot Removal
> (Requirement 2.1.2), Hot Device Identity (Requirement 2.1.3). It is very
> easy to understand the requirement of hot insertion and hot removal,
> however, I am a little unsure about hot device identity: is it something
> like the UUID schema, or is it something related with hardware resources,
> such as IRQ, IO ports, etc., so that when a device is hot removed, the Hot
> Plug driver will save its hardware configuration and allocate the same
> hardware resources to it when the same device is hot inserted into the
> system again?

Idea is to ensure that the higher level entities see it as the same
device, e.g., if it is /dev/sda6 the first time it's installed, second
time it is also /dev/sda6.

Nothing implied related to low level hardware resources, in fact, key
thing is that the device may "move" around on buses etc. and so appear
to be different after some number of operations.

> Thanks!
>
> Best Regards,
> Harold Yang
> Intel Corporation
>
> The content of this email message solely contains my own personal views, and
> not those of the company.

Peter
--
Peter R. Badovinatz aka 'Wombat' -- IBM Linux Technology Center
preferred: tabmowzo at us.ibm.com / alternate: wombat at us.ibm.com
These are my opinions and absolutely not official opinions of IBM, Corp.