[cgl_discussion] Requirement of Hot Identity

Yang, Harold harold.yang at intel.com
Tue Oct 15 01:30:18 PDT 2002

>Idea is to ensure that the higher level entities see it as the same
>device, e.g., if it is /dev/sda6 the first time it's installed, second
>time it is also /dev/sda6.

Yes, I got the idea. However, even though it is a requirement of Hot Swap
support in CGLE, it depends on Linux kernel subsystems to do this kind of
identity. The naming schema of each subsystem should retain the information
of devices that had been inserted into the system so that when it was
inserted again, subsystem can give it a right device name. For example, if a
network card is hot inserted into the system, it could get an interface name
of "eth1". When it is hot removed, the network subsystem should retain the
information of this card (MAC address, etc). When it is inserted into the
system again, network subsystem will browse all retained information and
give it a proper interface name (eth1).

So it seems that although it is a requirement of Hot Swap support, it has
nothing to do with Hot Swap. It is the business of each kernel subsystem. Am
I right?

>Nothing implied related to low level hardware resources, in fact, key
>thing is that the device may "move" around on buses etc. and so appear
>to be different after some number of operations.

Best Regards,
Harold Yang
Intel Corporation

The content of this email message solely contains my own personal views, and
not those of the company.