[cgl_discussion] Project Review: MCA Handler

Pallipadi, Venkatesh venkatesh.pallipadi at intel.com
Fri Oct 25 17:09:47 PDT 2002

Hi Randy,

Current MCA handler does decode the STATUS information during an MCA error
and gives some generic error details (like TLB error, cache error etc) to
the user. But we feel that providing the complete error information
(decoding of MISC, ADDR and looking at whether this happened in one
particular CPU or all the CPUs, etc) can be done better by a user tool or
event log manager rather than in the kernel. We are logging the contents of
all the MCA related registers (including MISC register) at the time of an
MCA error, which can then be used by the user level MCA error information
decoder.

Thanks,
-Venkatesh