[cgl_discussion] New draft of PoC restructuring proposal

Mika Kukkonen mika at osdl.org
Mon Oct 28 15:41:51 PST 2002

On ma, 2002-10-28 at 16:22, Skip Ford wrote:
(...)
> Obviously IANAL.  It would seem to me if I write code and license it as
> GPL and you incorporate it into your tree, you're covered.  But I don't
> have a problem with you protecting the project with an agreement just
> in case I'm wrong :)

One point you are missing above is what happens if you are working for
a company when you write the code. In some countries (don't know about
US) if you do anything that relates to your "real" work, the copyright
for that code belongs to your company, not to you (I actually know
couple cases when this has been enforced).

And while Open Source developers usually don't care about IPR etc.
(now who is going to sue a coder for IPR infringement? ;-), big
companies with multi-billion revenue (like Intel, IBM, Nokia etc.,
see http://www.osdl.org/sponsors/ for complete list :-) care
_very_ much about stuff like that.

See our developer-site: http://developer.osdl.org