[cgl_discussion] PPC support in CGL??

Mika Kukkonen mika at osdl.org
Thu Sep 5 07:21:59 PDT 2002

Hi Craig!

Our work is meant to be HW agnostic, but as our resources are limited,
the Reference Implementation (i.e. stuff at CVS in developer.osdl.org)
is tested to work only on x86 (as 99% of OSDL's machines are x86). We
do try to keep code non-x86 dependent as far as it is feasible.

In fact, one of the goals I have stated that when proposing a feature we
should ensure, that it can be made to work also on non-x86 architecture,
and I think PPC is the best reference architecture to compare to.

As a bottomline, I feel that it is up to the corresponding project
maintainer to decide, if he/she wants to accept patches that contain
code specific to non-x86 architectures. I certainly do not see any
reason why not to (besides the effort/resourcing), if patch's purpose is
just to make the feature to work also on non-x86 architecture.

--MiKu