[cgl_discussion] A brief ABAT overview

Fleischer, Julie N julie.n.fleischer at intel.com
Fri Sep 6 14:21:49 PDT 2002

In the validation subgroup meeting, we discussed the ABAT tool and its
capabilities.  Since it's now up and running against CGLE builds (results
not guaranteed yet), I thought I'd give a brief overview of what it's doing.

If you look at the CGLE build output at:
http://tinderbox.developer.osdl.org/Builds/status.html
you'll see a "CGLE 1.0-pre1 IA32 ABAT" column.

If you scroll down, you should see a box in the ABAT column indicating that
ABAT has run.

If you click on the "A" in that column, you can see sample ABAT output.  For
example:
http://tinderbox.developer.osdl.org/abat.php?log=1031334913.3858.

ABAT output consists of:
- the build number
- the installation status (pass or failed), plus an installation log
- ABAT test suite status (pass or failed, plus totals), plus logs of test
suite execution
There is one ABAT test suite per CGLE requirement, and each ABAT test suite
is a subset of the requirement's validation suite.  It contains just basic
functionality tests.

As Tariq mentioned in a strand earlier today, ABAT is used to assist in
finding a build of software which can be handed to validation for testing.
The ABAT will catch the basic errors in the system (files mistagged;
configuration items missing; components missing; software regressions) so
that they can be corrected before a build is sent to validation.

Thanks.
- Julie

Julie Fleischer
Intel Corporation
julie.n.fleischer at intel.com

This email message solely contains my own personal views, and not
necessarily those of my employer.