[cgl_discussion] Project review: ResourceMonitor and EventLog SNMP subagent

Zou, Yixiong yixiong.zou at intel.com
Tue Sep 10 11:49:22 PDT 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Khalid Aziz [mailto:khalid at fc.hp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 2:27 PM
Subject: Project review

We had decided that each project needs to go through a review on
cgl_discussion mailing list. We need to get this review started. Project
maintainers need to initaite this process. To kick off the review, here
is what I would suggest sending in an email as a proposal to
cgl_discussion:

1. Quote the requirements from the requirements doc that your project is
expected to meet.

2. Explain how you think the project you have picked meets the above
requirements.

3. Explain the design of your project or point to a document on the web
that explains the design.

4. Pointer to your code/patch.

This needs to be done very quickly by the maintainers who already have
code in CVS repository. I would propose a deadline of Sep 10th for
intial email to cgl_discussion. For others, I would suggest Sep 13th
(Friday the 13th).

Let me know if you have any questions, comments or objections.

--
Khalid =

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

1. Requirements: 4.6 Remote Access to Event Log

   allows a central management system to access the Linux OS event log
   information of a remote system. =

   Requirements: 4.1.2 ResourceMonitor Framework

   comply with the CGL ResourceMonitor Framework Specification. As per this
   specification, this framework will allow a new subsystem to be created
   and plugged in to perform monitoring function. This framework shall =

   provide threshold settings and notification so that an event will be =

   sent to the event log when a particular resource/threshold is reached.

2. The ResourceMonitor/EventLog SNMP Subagent component implements a =

   EventLog SNMP subagent and a ResourceMonitor SNMP subagent. =

   EventLog SNMP subagent: it gives the remote manager the capability to:
     1) define event log query filters,
     2) define event notifications based on query filters,
     3) define event action handlers,
     4) query a event log record from the event log database,
     5) send out SNMP traps when notification events happen. =

   ResourceMonitor SNMP subagent: it gives the remote manager the capability

   to:
     1) enumerate through the subsystems/resources/statistics,
     2) create monitors,
     3) get SNMP traps when threshold/leakybucket events occur. =

   =

3. See attached html file for the design. =

4. The code can be found at "components/rm_snmp_subagent". =