[cgl_discussion] RE: Validation Test Suite for Scalability patches

Stephanie Glass sglass at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 10 13:50:56 PDT 2002

Rusty,

That sounds great to me.  Go ahead and put the stuff in and I fix wrap.sh
afterwards.

Thanks

Stephanie

Linux Technology Center
 IBM, 11400 Burnet Road, Austin, TX  78758
 Phone: (512) 838-9284   T/L: 678-9284  Fax: (512) 838-3882
 E-Mail: sglass at us.ibm.com

                      "Lynch, Rusty"
                      <rusty.lynch at inte        To:       Stephanie Glass/Austin/IBM at IBMUS, "Lynch, Rusty"
                      l.com>                    <rusty.lynch at intel.com>
                                               cc:       "'cgl_discussion at osdl.org'" <cgl_discussion at osdl.org>,
                      09/10/2002 03:07          "Peddibhotla, Rammohan" <rammohan.peddibhotla at intel.com>, Lisa
                      PM                        Perry/Beaverton/IBM at IBMUS, mika at osdl.org
                                               Subject:  RE: Validation Test Suite for Scalability patches

Let's use the existing LTP suite, but still add a test suite to the
directory structure for "scalabilityenhancements" or whatever the
requirement name is.  The new suite would contain a README that explained
that the implementation for the test are really handled under the LTP
suite,
an entry in the spec file that made a runtime dependency on the "ltp"
suite,
and a wrap.sh that called into the other suite to execute whatever test are
appropriate and produce a results.txt structured in the standard format.

Does that make sense?  If you want I can easily put together a new
"scalabilityenhancements" suite that does all of the above except for the
correct logic inside wrap.sh.

The advantage of maintaining a "scalabilityenhancements" suite is that we
can still use the directory structure to enforce tractability like we
designed in the framework specification.  The suite would still follow all
the rules of a validation suite since it would be located in the correct
directory, still be started in the standard way, and still report results
in
the standard way.  The fact that the suite depends on some other code is an
implementation detail.

             -rusty