[cgl_discussion] Project review: ResourceMonitor and EventLog
rusty.lynch at intel.com
Tue Sep 10 18:47:21 PDT 2002
The resource monitoring subagent is a feature of the resource monitoring
From: Zhu, Yi [mailto:yi.zhu at intel.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 6:41 PM
To: Zou, Yixiong; 'cgl_discussion at osdl.org'
Subject: RE: [cgl_discussion] Project review: ResourceMonitor and
EventLog SNMP subagent
Is there any requirement for the RM subagent? Because In Requirements: 4.1.2
ResourceMonitor Framework I didn't find anything talking about the RM remote
From: Zou, Yixiong [mailto:yixiong.zou at intel.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 2:49 AM
To: 'cgl_discussion at osdl.org'
Subject: [cgl_discussion] Project review: ResourceMonitor and EventLog SNMP
From: Khalid Aziz [mailto:khalid at fc.hp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 2:27 PM
Subject: Project review
We had decided that each project needs to go through a review on
cgl_discussion mailing list. We need to get this review started. Project
maintainers need to initaite this process. To kick off the review, here
is what I would suggest sending in an email as a proposal to
1. Quote the requirements from the requirements doc that your project is
expected to meet.
2. Explain how you think the project you have picked meets the above
3. Explain the design of your project or point to a document on the web
that explains the design.
4. Pointer to your code/patch.
This needs to be done very quickly by the maintainers who already have
code in CVS repository. I would propose a deadline of Sep 10th for
intial email to cgl_discussion. For others, I would suggest Sep 13th
(Friday the 13th).
Let me know if you have any questions, comments or objections.
1. Requirements: 4.6 Remote Access to Event Log
Description: OSDL CGL shall support a remote management capability that
allows a central management system to access the Linux OS event log
information of a remote system.
Requirements: 4.1.2 ResourceMonitor Framework
Description: OSDL CGL shall develop a resource monitor framework that
comply with the CGL ResourceMonitor Framework Specification. As per this
specification, this framework will allow a new subsystem to be created
and plugged in to perform monitoring function. This framework shall
provide threshold settings and notification so that an event will be
sent to the event log when a particular resource/threshold is reached.
2. The ResourceMonitor/EventLog SNMP Subagent component implements a
EventLog SNMP subagent and a ResourceMonitor SNMP subagent.
EventLog SNMP subagent: it gives the remote manager the capability to:
1) define event log query filters,
2) define event notifications based on query filters,
3) define event action handlers,
4) query a event log record from the event log database,
5) send out SNMP traps when notification events happen.
ResourceMonitor SNMP subagent: it gives the remote manager the capability
1) enumerate through the subsystems/resources/statistics,
2) create monitors,
3) get SNMP traps when threshold/leakybucket events occur.
3. See attached html file for the design.
4. The code can be found at "components/rm_snmp_subagent".
cgl_discussion mailing list
cgl_discussion at lists.osdl.org
More information about the cgl_discussion