[cgl_discussion] CGL required specs.

Peter Badovinatz tabmowzo at us.ibm.com
Fri Sep 13 21:03:17 PDT 2002

Pradeep Kathail wrote:

> Also,
> Can we start posting these files some-where on PHP rather then attaching
> them in the email. As a TEM, I am happy with increased usage of the network,
> but also unhappy when I am fetching my mail on low speed link

YES!  Please, please, please don't email big documents out!!!  I have
just spent one week on the road with only dialup, and face one more week
with only dialup (most of that dialup in Europe.)

I don't care if the documents are in the php repository, on
developer.osdl.org, sourceforge somewhere, or anywhere publically
accessible  via http or ftp.  That way I can go get it when convenient,
and while I'm reading my email I can get through it in reasonable time,
then queue up some document downloads while I'm occupying myself with
other duties (such as hitting the bar for a beer or three.)

Besides, nothing personal, but I don't want all of the documents right
now.  The ones I need I'll get or I'll get 'em when I'm back on home
turf.

People are just a bit too used to high speed connections.

> Brgds.
> Pradeep
>
> At 9/13/2002 02:10 PM -0700, george anzinger wrote:
> >Khalid Aziz wrote:
> >>
> >> Terence,
> >>
> >> Can you convert this doc to a Linux-friendly format like pdf? As a
> >> general rule, can we avoid posting non linux-friendly document formats.
> >> After all we are working on Linux here.
> >>
> >I consider pdf as only marginally better.  Html, IHMO is the
> >way to go.

George,
You weren't here during the great format wars early on...  I decreed
that we were going to use Gnumeric to track requirements, because if you
saw our early info, it looked very much like a spreadsheet.  Due to
incompatabilities between different Gnumeric levels, bugs in various
levels, etc., that crashed.  I refused to use Excel :)

We finally ended up with HTML.  Once I cleaned up the
automatically-generated HTML files we started with from an Excel dump (I
like to manually edit it :) we went from there.

Just recently, I was stuck using Word to hurry and get the Requirements
1.1 doc out, and it consistently froze up when I tried to regenerate the
TOC.  And that's a bit under 40 pages.

Emacs + HTML.  That'll do me most of the time.

Although for editing a big document, I always have liked using
FrameMaker.  Kicks Word's a** up one side of the street and down the
other.

> >--
> >George Anzinger   george at mvista.com
> >High-res-timers:
> >http://sourceforge.net/projects/high-res-timers/
> >Preemption patch:
> >http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml

Peter
--
Peter R. Badovinatz aka 'Wombat' -- IBM Linux Technology Center
preferred: tabmowzo at us.ibm.com / alternate: wombat at us.ibm.com
These are my opinions and absolutely not official opinions of IBM, Corp.