[cgl_discussion] non-list-member posts need approval

Patrick Mochel mochel at osdl.org
Mon Sep 23 09:39:24 PDT 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Villalovos, John L wrote:

> Please keep it!!
>
> I am on quite a few mailing lists where spam seriously outnumbers the valid
> content.

Ah, but that's what spam filters are for. There are many freely available
filters available that work very well. linux-kernel currently generates
300-500 messages a day, and of those, < 1/day are spam.

There are many other ways to spam people of this list, besides actually
posting to it. Nothing stops a robot from subscribing then posting, since
AFAIK, there is no approval for membership.

Also, the list archives are publically available on the web, without
mangling of email addresses at all:

http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/cgl_discussion/

That is how I get most of my spam: robots scanning the archives and
sending me mail. It far outnumbers the spam I get from any list (with one
exception)..

	-pat