[cgl_discussion] Re: alternate event logging proposal

Chris Friesen cfriesen at nortelnetworks.com
Tue Sep 24 12:57:36 PDT 2002

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> "What do you want to log?" is as important to me as "how do you want to
> log it?"  And the answers to the two questions are very much intertwined.

Also related is "how can userspace be notified of kernel events?".
There is no way for a userspace app to be notified that, for instance,
an ATM device got a loss of signal.  The drivers print it out, but the
userspace app has no clue.

I think that there should be a relatively generic way for drivers to
distribute events such as this and for userspace to register interest in
them.

Maybe netlink is the way to go, but its not exactly a simple interface.

Chris