[cgl_discussion] Re: alternate event logging proposal

Tim Hockin thockin at sun.com
Tue Sep 24 13:54:19 PDT 2002

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> In existing drivers that call netif_carrier_{on,off}, it is perhaps even
> possible to have them send netlink messages with no driver-specific code
> changes at all.

This is something that I have been asked to look at, here.  Jeff, how
(or is?) any of the netlink info pushed up to userspace?  The idea that
someone came to me with was to have something in (driverfs? netdevfs?)
that was poll()able and read()able.  read() giving current state, and
poll() waking on changes.  Or maybe two different files, but something.
  Of course it'd be greate to be generic.  I just assumed it would come
from netif_* for netdevices.

Is this something planned?  wanted?  something I should bang out into
2.5.x before end of next month?

We could have a generic device-events file (akin to acpi events) that a
daemon dispatches events into user-land, or we could have a kernel->user
callback a la /sbin/hotplug, or we could have many device/subsys
specific files.

Anyone have a preference?

Tim

--