[cgl_discussion] Re: [evlog-dev] Re: alternate event logging proposal

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at pobox.com
Tue Sep 24 14:26:33 PDT 2002

Larry Kessler wrote:
> Event logging uses real-time signaling to notify a process that's registered
> for notification that an event matching the criteria defined during
> registration has been written to the event log.  When notified, the process
> can read the entire event from the event log and then do whatever.

I've already seen the event logging userspace API, thanks.

Are you saying that netlink is not useful for event delivery inside the
kernel?  It seems useful to me.  Are you saying that netlink is
incompatible with the POSIX event logging interface?  My initial
thinking is that it seems compatible, just the syscalls[interface] is a
bit different.

Both your messages simply described and re-described POSIX event
logging, without actually responding to my suggestion.  Are you just
quoting specifications because you would rather not look into netlink
and explore new options?

I would rather avoid the kernel bloat of two pieces of kernel code doing
the pretty much the same thing internally.

	Jeff