[cgl_discussion] Re: why strict_memory_overcommit patch?

Robert Love rml at tech9.net
Fri Sep 27 12:03:54 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 14:54, Randy.Dunlap wrote:

> Why do we have the strict VM overcommit patch in the CGL kernel?
>
> What requirement is it for?
>
> Or does some other requirement depend on it?

Back in the TLT days, someone at Intel filed a bug relating to OOM and
someone else at Intel filed a reply saying "rml has a strict overcommit
patch that should fix this" - so I merged it.

I would think its just a general robustness / stability sort of thing.
The non-deterministic behavior of the OOM killer surely is not ideal for
a telecom server.

But, no, I do not think it was a specific line item and nothing depends
on it.

	Robert Love